Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy ~ Unknown

The average amount of sleep required is 5 minutes more ~ Unknown

04 June 2010

Cocoa shell garden mulch

Good day gentlekitties and doggies

Mother Dearest received an email and she thought she might share it with the world about Cocoa Shell Garden Mulch - whether its true or not, who knows. But its better to be aware right?

Here goes:

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet please pass this message onto those who do.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased cocoa mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day the owner woke up and took the dogs for a walk, halfway through the walk she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch has no warnings printed on the packaging, an investigation on the company's website stated the product is highly toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa mulch is manufactured by Hersheys and they claim "it is true that studies have shown that 50% of dogs that eat cocoa mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees, however 98% of dogs wont eat it"

Cocoa mulch contains a lethal ingredient called theobromine which is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths have already occurred.

Theobromine is in all chocolate especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar to the effects of caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cocoa bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cocoa been shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

So I don't know how much of this is true but its something to be aware of out there in the big scary world!

Mr Koda - Racing!


The Thundering Herd said...

Anytime I hear one of these, I go to to check out its accuracy. The reading is interesting and does point to the need to always read the ingredient mix of anything we use near our canine pals.

Inigo Flufflebum and d'Artagnan Rumblepurr said...

Woah! That is a very disturbing fact, thank you my friend. Even though our family is incapable of growing anything but mold, it's still good to know.

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! Mmmmm I'm a victim of cocoa mulch 2 years ago. I swallowed so much a size of a baseball. It was scary. I was very lucky that I survived. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Remington said...

Thank you for the information!

bbes tribe said...

Thank you for sharing about the cocoa mulch. We have heard about it before but it is a good thing to remind us from time to time about things that could be dangerous. Like leaving us in parked cars when it gets warm, eating sticks & stuff. Thanks again & thanks for visiting us.

Benny and Lily said...

That sure is some good info to pass along. So sad for their mom.
Benny &Lily

JackDaddy said...

Yep, cocoa mulch is very bad for dogs. So don't use it!!

Martha and Bailey said...

Yes, we have read that before - fortunately it is rather expensive so our humans have never bought it!
Of course we would prefer to think they weren't buying it for the good of our health!
Good to warn everyone as it is a tragic story.
Martha and Bailey xx

Khyra, Khousin Merdie, And Sometimes Her Mom said...


Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Lorenza said...

Hi, Mr. Koda!
That is scary!
Thanks for the info!
Kisses and hugs

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

Very good info to share, Mr. Koda - and from what we hear, it IS true.

Have fun at the races.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara