Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy ~ Unknown

The average amount of sleep required is 5 minutes more ~ Unknown


16 April 2010

Remembering my Great-Grandpaw

Greetings Chaps and Chapettes

Today is my Great-Grandpaw's one year deathiversary.

He was the reason my Mum got me in the first place. Aparently he used to rave a lot about Labradors! He had a golden Labrador himself - her name was Tess - but I don't have a photo of her to share with everyone today unfortunately. I hear she was a very good doggy and loved my Great-Grandpaw too, so she is definately worth a mention here.

He came with my Mum when she chose me and took me home! So we had a furry special bond! When I used to visit Great-Grandpaw's place he would always have treats and pats for me... always.

Me and Mum spent lots of time with Great-Grandpaw when his health was slipping away from him. The other people said that the dog (being ME) had to stay outside, but Mum snuck me in so that I could be with my Great-Grandpaw. I would not dare be naughty cos I knew how frail and fragile he was, so I just sat around and occassionaly went over for some pats by putting my head on Great-Grandpaw's lap so he could reach me easily.

The night before Great-Grandpaw died, we stayed on the couch all night long, making my Grandma and my aunty and uncles coffee's and being there for them... I snoozed a lot but was alert to every sound. Grandma and my aunty were with my Great-Grandpaw all night long, holding his hands and being there fur him.

The next morning, Mum and I left to go and have a quick snooze and to get me something to eat. We quickly returned just in case Great-Grandpaw would slip away while we weren't there.

Great-Grandpaw slipped away later that morning (16 April 2009) surrounded by all the family.

Here are a few shots of my Great-Grandpaw:


Just a boy

On his wedding day


Trying his hand at goat farming and failing miserably


Chasing my Mum around a tree when she was a spring bean at Great-Grandpaws home


Out fur an enjoyable meal with the family

I'm sure my Great-Grandpaw is having a fantastical time wherever he is, whether he is dancing the night away with Great-Grandma or having a quiet whiskey and water while watching the evening news. He is super missed by me and my Mum and will always be remembered!

Koda
Missing my Great-Grandpaw

10 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

What a furry special post!

I'm sure his internet khonnekhtion from beyond has pawmitted him to see how well woo've turned out!

Mom will raise her glass of AGJ to your great-grandpaw!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Please give your mum some special Koda love!

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

oh this post made me cry a wee bit.

I lost my dearest Dad in June 2005, and those later pictures of Great Grandpa reminded me of him, so much.

Your Great Grandpa sounds and looks like a wonderful human being and a lovely Gentleman.

Thinking of you from across the oceans.

lotsaluv, Jeannie xxxxxx oh and Marvin xx

Remington said...

Great post. It is so nice to remember....may we NEVER forget all the good times....

The OP Pack said...

Koda - this is just such a very nice post - we can tell how much you and your Mom loved your Great-Grandpaw - he looks like a very nice man. We applaud you for being so gentle with him too. Give your Mum some extra special kisses from us.

Happy Weekend.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

JackDaddy said...

What a very kind post. I'm glad you got to be with him!

Dakota and Georgia said...

Dakota lost her great grandpaw a little over a year ago. Although she never got to meet him (he lived in America), her mom told her all about him, so she knows how sad you feel.

Lorenza said...

Mr. Koda!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful tribute to your Great-Grandpaw.
Sure you all have all those good memories in your heart.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Team Husky said...

Haroo Koda, what a loverly post ~ it did mame our eyes leak.

I'm sure your great granpaw is real proud of woo and remember he's watching over woo all of the time.....even when woo are being naughty (and yes,I know woo are naughty sometimes!).

Sad woo woos from yur bestest pal
Princey

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Aww, a very sweet post, your great grandpaw sounds like he was a wonderful man whom you all loved dearly.



Have a great weekend.

MAX said...

What lovely memories of your grandfather! I love the photo of the 'round the tree' chase...what a delight...it's memories like this that should be preserved.
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA